Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Why children Lie..

 Lying is when we don't speak the truth, it does not matter what way we try to put it "I was kidding"," i was going to tell you later","I didn't mean to". But some of all  the ones who seem to lie the most are children. I read an article about why we lie.

 one reason is fear. 
Children do it when they are afraid of getting in trouble, screamed at, or even punished. But parent are also the ones who push them to their lies. If parents are too strict, aggressive, very loud, and non understanding then the child will most likely lie in order to not deal if any of this. Parents have to start being understanding and remember that they were once also our age and they were scared to admit the truth due to the reactions of their parents, So maybe them repeating the same reaction would work to built our confidence to trust. Listening can really help a lot for children to feel more like they can actually have a conversation with their
 parents without lies just a honest communication.

The second reason is habit. 
Lying can become a habit formed through constant practice. It is possible that a child can lie just because that's what they are used to. Having a habit to lie is usually triggered by hostile confrontation. One way to get rid of this habit is by letting go and to start learning that by many lies come many consequences. When we speak the truth it actually feels like we've just taken a lot of weight of of our should
ers. When people tell just so many lies most of the time we forget we aver lied about something and that's how we get caught up in our lies. Remember you cant forget the truth but you cant remember your lies.  I picked this cartoon -->>
because men have a bad habit of lying, that's why females don't trust them. Men get  accused because of past experiences and They always get caught in their lies and continue to lie and get caught over and over and never learn their lesson.Well not all guys, but at least some. 

The third reason is modelling.
Children's pick up  behavior's and habits from home and from school. Parents think that it's bad for kids to lie and always assume that its coming from friends in school. But what they don't seem to realize is that somethings they learn at home. Parents lie and think of it as a harmless lie nothing serious, right?. But it kind of rubs off on the kids. If kids see something at home they are going to think its fine and re-do it in school maybe even worst because kids don't really know from right and wrong. So parents being more aware of their own actions can help them from teaching their kids the unwanted .

The fourth reason is Overprediction.
Kids usually predict what the parents reaction is going to be without consulting they yet. This happens when the parent gives the child to many "No's and don'ts". Everything is negotiable, Parents should be able to let kids relax a little, Explore and learn from their mistakes, Its part of growing up. But having to much rules will just led children to lie and not really inform the parent about silly things like where they are, what they are doing are the moment, who they are talking to and things of that sort. 
I agree with each and every one of these reasons because I also went through all of this growing up. Its kind of hard trying to have a conversation with people who just don't listen an
d want to have a say in your every move. But sometimes lies can get you in deep trouble.

When I was in 7Th grade I lied to my parents telling them that I was in after school from 3 to 7 PM. Eventually they found out because they found it weird that I was staying in school for so much hours and I didn't even like school. Well I arrived at my house at 8PM thinking everything was an cool as usual but as I walked in further to my house it seem quiet. When I opened the door I saw my mother was on the phone, when she hung up the phone she asked me where was I ?, I lied and said I was in my after school program. So she asked me again and I gave her the same answer. she got my father and told me that she had just hung up the phone with my school principal and that I never had attended any after school program.I still continued to lie and said that she was lying to me because she doesn't believe that i was attending after school programs and that she made all of the up. I was grounded for a whole month no t.v , phone , dance classes, shopping or anything that I would've called fun. After that I learned my lesson. But I also learned how not to be afraid anymore to tell them how I felt about them always wanting me to be home and not letting me enjoy my teenage years, and that they were what pushed me to lie because they didn't trust me on my own It took them some time to grasp the fact that I was growing up. But once kids let go of the fear of a bad confrontation then parents will see them with other eyes and understand that they are growing up and slowly learn how to trust their kids.  
I choose this cartoon because it reminded me of the confrontation I had with my mother and accused her of lying in front of my father so that he wont think that I was a bad kid mean while she was telling my father that I was lying to them and that Im never going to get their trust back ever again.

No comments: