Thursday, July 10, 2008

NYC schools



This year's response to the Department of Education's survey has had an increase compared to last year's rate, According to the 
article in the New York Times "Students, Teachers and Parents Weigh in on State of the Schools" written by Jennifer Medina.
I've noticed that parents are trying to be more involved in their child's education. And one way to show this interest they have been responding to the surveys. I wonder what would have happened if the Department of Education would have gotten a bad response from parents , students, and teachers . close down every school in NYC ?.
In the article it stated that this the second year the city has conducted the survey of nearly 1.5 million parents, teachers and students. One encouraging finding was that more students reported feeling safe in hallways, bathrooms, and locker rooms at their school: 72 percent this year compared with 68 percent last year. I agree with this,till this day  I haven't felt threatened in school or around my school area . 
There were some signs of trouble and dissatisfaction , how ever student of middle and high school grades express their thoughts and say that even if they get good grades doesn't mean that they are going to get the respect they need from other students. Some parents felt that smaller classes for their kids helped them improve in their classes more than larger classes . But overall both parents and students said that their schools are maintained in order and in discipline.
I don't agree with the making of the survey because I actually believe that student and maybe teacher would lie in the survey to make the school they are attending look good. I don't think they would put bad things in the survey. Because neither would I. I would say my school is the best school in the world. I did the survey but I didn't have to lie. My school is good and I do feel very safe in my school.I am very satisfied with my education and like most of my teachers. There is nothing to complain about .

No comments: